SOTS: CPE Questions and Answers


CPE Questions and Answers

Q: Do I need to report CPE credits for 2016 (Reported renewing CPA License for 2017)?

          A 2016 CPE Report is required if…

A: You renewed and held an active license in 2015 and renewed and held an active license in 2016.

A: You were issued an initial license between January 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015, and are currently holding an active renewed 2016 license.

A: Your license was reinstated between July 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015 and are currently holding an active renewed 2016 license. (Please note: Credits reported and used to reinstate may not be used again, and may not be carried over.)

   A 2016 CPE Report is not required if…

A: You hold a registered certificate. (Lookup your status if unsure)

A: Your initial license was issued between July 1, 2015 and December 31, 2016.

A: Your license was reinstated between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.

Q: What is the required reporting year for gathering CPE?

A: Connecticut requires CPE to be completed every fiscal year, July 1st through June 30th, and must be reported to the Board by December 31st of every year. The 2016 CPE fiscal year began July 1, 2015 and ends June 30, 2016. All 2017 CPA License renewals, on-line and paper, are due December 31, 2016.

Q: How do I know if my courses qualify as acceptable CPE?

A: Connecticut does not pre approve/approve courses. You, the licensee, are responsible for determining whether your courses qualify and are supported by the required documentation. You must be sure that the course(s) meet the guidelines set forth in the CPE regulations, Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, §20-280-26.

Q: When Do I report my CPE?

A: CPE reporting forms will be part of your 2017 license renewal which you will be required to complete:  Through on-line at When renewing your license or by paper renewal form.

 Q: When will the online renewal system be available to report my CPE?

A: The on-line renewal system will be available after October 1, 2016 on our website at

 Q: Does the board accept half, quarter, etc. course hours?

A: The board only accepts whole credit hours. 

Q: Can I send attachments with my report?

A: No, do not send attachments. Fill in the paper or web form as instructed.

Q: How many credits may I carry forward?

A: A maximum of 20 hours (will not include exceeded limits as stated above).

Q: How many years can I carry forward my credit hours?

A: One year. You will only receive carry over credits for 2017 from your 2016 CPE report.

Q: Will the Board notify me if my report does not meet the requirements?

A: Yes, you will receive a letter of explanation.

Q: Do I need to do ethics CPE?

A: The Connecticut State Board of Accountancy implemented a mandatory four-hour ethics requirement. This requires Connecticut CPA license holders to take four hours of ethics education every three years from the date the requirement was last met. You may only submit four hours of ethics at one time in one of the 3 reporting cycles.  This requirement may be met through any course covering ethical behavior and the understanding of the State and National Code of Conduct, Professional Conduct, and State Licensing Regulations.

Q: If I perform Attest or compilation services or sign financial statements, do I need to complete any CPE for these services.

A: Any Connecticut certified public accountant license holder who performs attestation or compilation services or signs financial statements on behalf of a firm must earn eight hours of the annual 40 hours of CPE in the subject areas of financial statement preparation and reporting.

Q: What if I did not complete the 40hrs of CPE by June 30th?

A: You are in non-compliance if you do not complete at least 40 hours of acceptable CPE by June 30th:

  1. If you earn 40 hours of CPE after June 30, 2016 and on or before September 30, 2016 you must pay a CPE late fee of $315 along with the renewal fee.
  2. If you earn 40 hours of CPE after September 30, 2016 and on or before December 31, 2016 you must pay a late fee of $625 along with the renewal fee.
  3. If you have not earned or will not earn your 40 hours of CPE by December 31, 2016, you must contact Board legal counsel at (860) 509-6183.

Q: Can I get an extension or a waiver?

A: Waivers and extensions are granted for health reasons, active duty in the armed forces or good cause determined by the Board. Waivers and extensions must be requested in writing and sent to State Board of Accountancy, 30 Trinity Street, Hartford, CT 06106. You will receive a written response informing you whether your request has been granted or denied. Please Note: To avoid the risk of non-compliance your request for waiver or extension should be received prior to the expiration of the gathering fiscal year ending June 30th. All letters of waiver should specific the number of CPE completed and the number of delinquent credits as of the date of the request.  Proper documentation is required for all letters of extension or waiver; such documentation shall be submitted at the time of the request.

Q: Will I receive credit for the total number of hours reported?

A: You are required to report a minimum of 40 hrs. You will receive credit for a maximum of 60 hrs, with 20 carried into 2017. All reports must be in compliance with CPE regulations, Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, § 20-280-25 through § 20-280-27.

A: No, if you have already received credit for a course. (Courses reported on your 2016 report).

A: No, if credits were obtained outside the required CPE fiscal year. (July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017).

A: No, if reported credit hours exceed annual category limits as follows:

  1. a maximum of 20 as an instructor (I);
  2. a maximum of 10 as an author/writer (A);

A: Yes, for up to 60 hours reported as either all self study or as a mixture of the allowable reporting categories (instructor, participant, self study, author, and ethics).

Please Note: Any credit hours beyond these limits are omitted and ineligible for carry over.

Q: Does Connecticut recognize QAS hours?

A: Connecticut requires all courses be measured in 50-minute contact hours. If QAS meets this standard of measure, it will be acceptable.

Q: Do I need to provide certificates of completion or verification for courses?

A: Online renewing will have an upload option which will require you to upload your CPE certificates of completion. If you do not upload your certificates of completion and the board performs an audit of your CPE, you will be responsible for submitting copies of your certificates of completion and/or verification of courses at the time of the audit. You must retain your documentation for at least three (3) years from the date the program was completed. As set forth in the CPE regulations, Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, § 20-280-27.

Content Last Modified on 3/16/2016 8:05:52 AM