SOTS: Education Requirement to Become a CPA


Education Requirements


The Education Requirement to qualify to take the CPA Exam

An applicant may apply to take the examination if such person holds a baccalaureate degree, or its equivalent, conferred by a college or university acceptable to the board, with an accounting concentration or equivalent, as determined by the board by regulation to be appropriate.

An applicant shall be eligible to apply for the examination for the first time on or after May 26, 2007 if he or she is a graduate of an accredited college with a degree of bachelor. The college shall be accredited by the regional accrediting commission subscribing to the national policies and procedures established by the federation of regional accrediting commissions of higher education; or a college of equivalent accreditation as determined by the Connecticut State Board of Accountancy. The candidate shall have received credit for at least 46 semester hours from such an accredited college in the study of accounting and related subjects, including, but not limited to business law, economics, and finance; of which at least twenty-four semester hours shall be in the study of accounting.

The Education Requirement for a CPA Certificate

Connecticut's education requirement for obtaining a CPA Certificate is composed of two parts, a general degree requirement of a bachelors degree from a four year accredited college or university and specific credit hours.

Applicants for a Connecticut CPA Certificate must have a minimum of 150 semester hours of college education which includes;

- A baccalaureate degree from a four-year college or university accredited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies (Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Southern, and Western), or equivalent to that status as determined by the board. Only two schools are currently considered equivalent; Bob Jones University and Everest University.

- A minimum of 36 semester hours in accounting (which may include basic or an introductory accounting course, and

- 30 semester hours in economics and business administration, and

- At least 60 semester hours in general education.

- The balance may consist of any for credit courses, including courses in excess of the minimums set forth in the preceding.

Education from Outside of the United States

Candidates with foreign educational credentials must have their credentials evaluated by any member organization of National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

Candidates with foreign educational credentials should contact one of the evaluations services listed and have the foreign educational transcripts forwarded to the service for evaluation. Remember to inform the evaluation service that you wish to take the Uniform CPA Exam as a Connecticut candidate to have the completed evaluation forwarded to the Connecticut Coordinator CPA Examination Services P.O. Box 198469
Nashville, TN 37219-8469 Email:

Center for Applied Research, Evaluations, & Education, Inc.
P.O. Box 20348
Long Beach, CA 90801
Phone: (714) 237-9272
Fax: (714) 237-9279

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Phone: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411

Education Evaluators International
11 South Angell St. #348
Providence, RI  02906
Telephone: (401) 521-5340
Fax: (401) 437-6474

Education International, Inc.
29 Denton Road
Wellesley, MA 02482
Phone: (781) 235-7425
Fax: (781) 235-6831

Educational Perspectives, nfp.
P.O. Box 618056
Chicago, IL 60661-8056
Phone: (312) 421-9300
Fax: (312) 421-9353

Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc.
601 University Avenue, Suite 127
Sacramento, CA 95825
Phone: (916) 921-0790
Fax: (916) 921-0793

Evaluation Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 85
Hopewell Jct., NY 12533
Phone: (845) 223-6455
Fax: (845) 223-6454

Foreign Academic Credential Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 400
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
Phone: (618) 656-5291
Fax: (618) 656-5292

The Foreign Educational Document Service
P.O. Box 151739
San Diego, CA 92175
Phone: (619) 265-5810

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, TX 77842-9203
Phone: (512) 528-0908
Fax: (512) 528-9293
email: or

Foundation for International Services, Inc.
14926 - 35th Avenue West
Suite 210
Lynnwood, Washington 98087
Phone: (425) 248-2255
Fax: (425) 248-2262

Global Services Associates, Inc.
2554 Lincoln Boulevard, # 445
Marina del Rey, CA 90291
Phone: (310) 828-5709
Fax: (310) 828-5709

International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
625 Barksdale Road, Suite 109
Newark, DE 19711-3258
Phone: (302) 737-8715
Fax: (302) 737-8756

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: (310) 258-9451
Fax: (310) 342-7086

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 S.W. 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338
Fax: (305) 273-1984 (Translations)


NASBA International Evaluation Services (NIES)
150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 850
Nashville, TN 37219
615-277-9077 or 855-468-5382

SpanTran Educational Services, Inc.
7211 Regency Square Blvd., Suite 205
Houston, TX 77036-3197
Phone: (713) 266-8805
Fax: (713) 789-6022

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100

On-Line courses

Courses taken at and Degrees awarded from on-line programs are acceptable if the college or university is accredited. Visit the college or university web site or telephone the college or university to determine if the institution is accredited.

Grade vs. pass/fail

Courses in which a pass/fail grade was issued are eligible to meet the education requirement with a passing grade.

Community College Courses

Courses taken at a Connecticut Community College are eligible to meet the education requirement. Connecticut’s Community Colleges are accredited. For Community Colleges outside of Connecticut visit the college web site or telephone the college to determine if the institution is accredited.

Credits Received through the College-Level Examination Program® or CLEP

The College-Level Examination Program® or CLEP provides students with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. There are 2,900 colleges that grant credit and/or advanced standing for CLEP exams.

Determination of whether a specific course meets the requirements is based upon the following factors:

- How the course is listed on the college or university transcript.

- Course prefix and number

- Course title and description

Q: How do quarter credits convert to semester credits?
A: One semester hour equals 1˝ quarter hours, so one quarter hour is 2/3 of a semester hour. Trimester credit hours are the same as semester credit hours.

Content Last Modified on 6/5/2014 2:01:33 PM